Vanessa is a fourth year Honors Psychology student attending Georgia State University. She has a passion for mental health advocacy, creativity, equity, diversity, and inclusion. Vanessa hopes to go into the field of Behavioral Health or Pediatric Psychology through earning a Ph.D. in either Health or Clinical Psychology. She hopes to focus her research and clinical interests on a breadth of topics including:
* Mindfulness and Psychotherapy treatment
* Delivering patient centered integrated care that integrates behavioral health and primary care
* Conducting mental health advocacy work and spreading resource awareness through health communication strategies to optimize health related knowledge, prevention, and intervention strategies
* Exploring the interplay between race and culturally based health practices and health outcomes
* Parental involvement to improve child mental health and physical well-being
* Addressing Mental Illness Stigma and Disparities in the African American community
Her current honors thesis focuses on examining race bias in pediatric pain assessment and perceived pain rating.